Startup and Emerging Technology Companies
HEA’s startup and emerging technology company team works very closely with founders, executives, and general counsel of their startup clients on matters ranging from negotiating significant financial transactions to selecting a brand name. Our team includes members with several years of in-house legal experience from a global telecommunications company and members with experience gained as angel investors and advisors to Silicon Valley startup companies. Our team also includes former patent examiners and members holding advanced technical degrees in business and engineering. We understand that every business model is unique, which is why we work very closely with every client to design the best path forward to protect their growing business and monetize their intellectual property assets. Our members are active in the startup community, recently presenting at “Hack Osaka” innovation conference and participating in the growing startup community in the Washington DC-area.
We utilize our technical know-how, administrative experience, and corporate experience to provide the following:
- Preparing founder agreements, corporate formation documents,
and employment agreements
- Strategic counseling regarding SBA navigation (funding, regulations)
- IP audit (trademark, copyright, patent)
- Patent Drafting and Prosecution
- Counseling regarding “patent versus trade secret” calculation
- Design Patent Preparation and Prosecution (GUI designs)
- Validity, Infringement, and Freedom-to-Operate Opinions
- PTAB litigation
- District Court Litigation
- Trademark search, selection, procurement, and use.